Monday, November 10, 2008

Lot Reconstruction

Jim mentioned back in September that he has put together a Lot database from the 1729 time frame but couldn't put it up here due to some technical difficulties. I thought since I am working on trying to reestablish these lots for us that I would share what he found. Unfortunately I am having the same technical difficulties. So, instead I thought I'd share a few things about the list.

There are several names on the list that appear later in our research as well: Hanson (the surveyor), Coombs (same name as a store owner in the 19th Century), Neale (very prominent family in the 17th and 18th Century in Charles County). There are others and reconstructing the lots is not an easy task.

One thing Jim didn't mention is that when the lots were bought, the owner had one year to build on it or they had to reenter their lot with the county so they didn't lose the land. The law was set up so that the town would start to grow and not just be stagnant from landowners buying the land and not building on it.

As soon as we've made some progress on the reconstruction of the town lots, we'll post it for all to see.

- Peter

No comments: