Friday, October 31, 2008

Jailhouse Update

I was looking through the abstracts about the jailhouse in the PT Times and found a couple interesting things.

First, lots of people broke out of the jail...easily. It's amazing to me how simple some of these ideas were and that they worked. I guess I'm used to seeing the big "super max" prisons of today. In one case an "inmate" used a log to break open the ceiling of the jail and then crawl out. Where did he get a log from? The jail had a fireplace in it, but did the prisoners have access to the wood and the fire itself? Seems odd to me, but there was another entry in which a prisoner burned a hole in the floor and then dug through the dirt to get out!

Another interesting note was that while building the 1857 jailhouse, the abstract noted that the 1811 jailhouse did not get demolished until the new one was built. In the same note it stated that prisoners were being held in a "temporary jail". Where was this temporary jail and what did it look like?

Just a couple interesting things I pulled out of the abstracts that were posted on Tuesday, July 8, 2008

- Peter

3 comments:

Scott said...

I didn't know you were so familiar with Super Max prisons, Pete. Glad you turned your life around.

Jim said...

I think we can all agree that GAC's participation in the work release program has much to do with Pete's rehabilitation. Without the opportunity afforded by the Port Tobacco project, Pete would be stuck in a dreary office somewhere making gobs of money and feeling very guilty about it.

pquantock said...

Yeah...doubt it Jim! And for the record, I've never been "convicted".